If you thought Octopath Traveler 2’s final boss fight was already too challenging, then you have seen nothing yet. Lurking beneath the shadow, and on a forbidden island, is the game’s secret final boss, Galdera the Fallen. This secret boss is so tough it puts all challenging encounters to shame. Mind you, we aren’t exaggerating even the slightest. That said, defeating it isn’t impossible (just super hard). In this article, we will share with you how to find Octopath Traveler 2 Secret Boss – Galdera the Fallen and how to beat it.
Where to Find Octopath Traveler 2 Secret Boss: Unlocking ??? Island
You must first finish a number of side quests in order to unlock the game’s optional super boss. Here is a quick rundown on the steps you must complete to unlock the most challenging fight in the game—heck—the series.
- Complete ‘The Traveler’s Bag’ Side Quest. In Eastern New Delsta Highroad, you can see an NPC next to the sign during the daytime. He lost his bag and he will ask you to help him find it. You can simply find it north of the signpost. Just switch to nighttime and a bandit NPC will be near a fire. Talk to it and select ‘Yes’ to take the bag back.
- Complete ‘Procuring Peculiar Tomes’ Side Quest. This quest will see you collect three lost book key items all across the game’s overworld. You can find the quest on Montwise’s Large Library. Talk to the guy beside the back-left stairs. Finding the three book key items deserve a guide article of its own.
- Get ‘From the Far Reaches of Hell’ Side Quest. Say that you finally completed the previously mentioned sidequest. Now go back to Montwise – Library. On the right side, you will see a quest giver NPC under some bookshelf with a gold chest.
- Learn to Translate Ancient Languages. Travel to the Nameless Island in the southeast of the sea. You would need to unlock the boat first, however, which involves Partitio’s Scent of Commerce side quests. In Nameless Island, you will fight a boss to rescue an NPC called Georges Lazuli. Use your Path Actions to gain information from him. Success will cause the NPC to teach you Ancient Languages. Go back to Montwise – Library to finish the quest.
After that, all you need to do now is to travel to ??? Island where the secret boss waits.
Unlocking the Gate to the Netherworld
After finishing the steps mentioned above, travel back to the sea. This time, head over to the Sundering Sea and defeat the boss at the whirlpool blocking the way to the southeast of the map. The encounter will be tough, but it would feel like a piece of cake compared to what awaits you after. Once the path is clear, make your way to the island called ??? Island.
There, simply head towards the temple. You should encounter an NPC there, particularly the guy who first asked you for help with his bag. Atop the stairs is Galdera the Fallen. Now, save your progress using the save point nearby. The game’s toughest battle is about to commence.
How to Defeat Octopath Traveler 2 Secret Boss: Galdera the Fallen
If you want to beat Galdera, you will need to be prepared. Here are some tips that will help you:
- Make sure your characters are at least level 70—max if you can. Mine were all level 80-90 and I still had a very tough time against this final secret boss.
- Equip your characters with the best weapons and armor that you have. Use the Battle Tested weapons. Give ample time to find them first if possible.
- Make sure your characters have all of their best skills learned.
- Bring along several healers. You will constantly top up your characters’ HP to finish the tough boss battle.
- Use buffs and debuffs to your advantage. Every stat bonus counts.
- Be patient and don’t give up. Take note that the encounter involves two phases.
Here are some general battle strategy tips to beat Galdera the Fallen:
- Use the Battle Tested weapons. These weapons can be found in various locations throughout the game, and they will give your characters a significant boost in attack power.
- Use the Divine Scale. This accessory can be found in the Holy Night Headquarters in Stormhail, and it will increase the potency of your elemental attacks.
- Use Aellfric’s Blessing skill. This skill can be learned by the Cleric job, and it will give your characters a significant boost in defense.
- Use the Donate BP skill. This skill can be learned by the Merchant job, and it will allow you to give your allies an extra BP.
Here is a more detailed strategy for beating Galdera:
- In the first phase of the fight, Octopath Traveler 2 Secret Boss – Galdera will use a variety of physical and elemental attacks. Furthermore, it will also change resistance periodically. Chip away with its shields with every attack you choose. Make sure to keep your characters healed and buffed.
- In the second phase of the fight, Galdera will become more powerful and will start using more powerful attacks. Do not worry too much about its main body for now. It will have near-unlimited shields and taking it away right off the bat will only prove fruitless. Instead, focus on attacking its other components or use AoE attacks to deal damage to the main body even for just a bit. Use your best skills to damage him and keep him from healing.
And that is how you beat Octopath Traveler 2 Secret Boss – Galdera the Fallen! If you follow these tips, you should be able to defeat it and claim your victory. The fight will be long, so do your best to stay focused as every command here will be crucial. With all that said, this secret boss encounter is one of Square Enix’s finest. It is an epic challenge you definitely should give a try.