The debate of which is better, wireless headphones or wired headphones, have gone on for way too long already. The supporters and advocates of one side just couldn’t seemingly get along with the other. This creates a constant feeling of tension between the two parties that will probably stay for a long, long time.
There is no denying that choosing the right headphones for you can be a challenge. More so, if you don’t have any idea of what really separates one from the other. This explains why newbies just tend to stick to one side and stay there for as long as they want. After all, how could headphones be so different just because they have a wire or not, right? Well, after this article, you may think otherwise.
In this article, we intend to shine the spotlight on both wireless headphones and wired headphones. We will highlight each of their strengths, weaknesses, and general use. At the end of it, we will try our best to choose which of the two is better. Without further ado, here are wireless headphones or wired headphones, which is better?
Wireless headphones have always been the king to more active people, such as athletes, because of their portability and the freedom of movement they provide. That said, the same are now also becoming increasingly popular among gamers for a number of reasons. Here are some of the reasons why:
- Freedom of movement. They allow gamers to move around freely without being tethered to their device. This is especially important for gamers who play games that require a lot of movement, such as first-person shooters or sports games.
- No cables. Wireless headphones do not have any cables, which can make them more comfortable to wear. Cables can get tangled or caught on things, which can be frustrating and even dangerous.
- Convenience. Wireless headphones are more convenient to use than wired headphones. There is no need to worry about tangling cables or tripping over them. This can be especially helpful when gaming in a dark room or when there are other people around.
- Excellent sound quality. Wireless headphones have come a long way in recent years. Some high-end devices can now provide sound quality that is comparable to wired headphones.
There are many reasons why people, mostly gamers, like wired headphones. Here are a few of the most common reasons:
- Latency. Wired headphones basically do not have any latency, which means that there is no delay between when the audio is produced and when it is heard by the gamer. This is important for gamers who play competitive games, as it allows them to react to audio cues in real-time.
- Audio quality. Wired headphones typically offer better audio quality than wireless headphones. This is because wired headphones are not limited by the same battery constraints as wireless headphones, and they can therefore use more powerful drivers and amplifiers.
- Price. Wired headphones are typically more affordable than wireless headphones. This is because they do not require the same complex technology as wireless headphones.
- Durability. Wired headphones are typically more durable. This is because they are not as susceptible to damage from drops or water or even sweat.
Wireless Headphones vs Wired Headphones: Pros and Cons
- Wireless headsets allow you to move around freely without being tethered to your device.
- Wireless headphones do not have any cables, which can make them more comfortable to wear.
- They are more convenient. Wireless headphones are more convenient to use, as you do not have to worry about tangling cables or tripping over them.
- Wireless headphones can generally provide worse sound quality than wired headphones, as they are limited by the Bluetooth codec.
- They are more expensive. Wireless headphones are generally more expensive than wired headphones. This is because of the extra tech used to take away the wires in the first place.
- Wireless headphones have a shorter battery life than wired headphones, so you will need to remember to charge them regularly. Wired ones, on the other hand, do not have any batteries, so you can use them for as long as you want.
- More susceptible to interference. Wireless headphones are more susceptible to interference from other devices, such as cell phones and laptops due to their wireless nature.
- Wired headphones can generally provide better sound quality than wireless headphones, as they are not limited by the Bluetooth codec.
- Wired headphones are generally more affordable than wireless headphones.
- They are much easier to use. Wired headphones are easier to use, as they do not require batteries or charging. You simply have to plug them on the device you prefer and that’s that.
- They are generally more durable. Wired headphones are generally more durable than wireless headphones, as they have fewer moving parts.
- Wired headphones limit your mobility, as you are tethered to your device.
- It can be a tripping hazard. The cable can be a tripping hazard, especially if you are moving around.
- The cable can get tangled easily, which can be frustrating.
Other Things to Consider
Here are some additional things to consider when choosing between wired and wireless headphones:
What will you be using the headphones for?
If you are going to be using them for gaming or critical listening, then wired headphones are the better option. This is because they generally provide a more concise sound quality than their wireless counterparts. Moreover, since you won’t be moving too much, the wires shouldn’t factor in all that much. However, if you are going to be using them for casual listening or activities where you need to be mobile, then wireless headphones are a better choice.
How much are you willing to spend?
Wireless headphones are generally more expensive than wired headphones. If you are on a budget, then wired headphones are the way to go. However, if you are willing to spend more money, then you can get wireless headphones with better features and sound quality. Take note that their difference in price can range up to $100 or more.
Will the battery life bother you?
Wireless headphones have a short battery life. Wired headphones, meanwhile, do not have batteries at all. If you need headphones that will last for long hours of listening sessions or gaming, then wired headphones are the better option. However, if you are willing to recharge your device regularly, then wireless headphones are a good choice.
Weighing out everything we said above, it certainly looks like wired headphones are the better option among the two. That said, the best type of headphones for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences.
We certainly appreciate what the wireless variants can give, especially their portability, convenience, and freedom of movement. However, as gamers, nothing simply beats the sound fidelity that high-end wired headphones can give. For example, headphones from Razer, Steelseries, or JBL. Moreover, we don’t necessarily move that much when gaming so there’s that as well. Looking from the perspective of gamers, we are giving the better headphones variant award to the wired headphones.
So, what do you think? Do you believe wireless headphones are better? Let us have a healthy discussion using the comments section below.