Final Fantasy 7 Remake’s combat and general difficulty are superb at its default setting. However, some just want more challenge in their games, and we simply cannot dispute that. Thankfully for them (and me, I guess), there is a Final Fantasy 7 Remake Hard Mode difficulty that can truly test players’ mettle and expertise in the particular game.
It is a much more challenging experience than the other difficulty settings, and it is designed to test even the most experienced players. This mode in Final Fantasy 7 Remake can make normal encounters seem like boss fights, and pivotal fights feel like a desperate push for survival. It gets the blood of players pumping with adrenaline, making the overall experience more out there and perhaps all the more magnificent.
With all that said, how do you unlock it? What are the parameters that players must achieve in unlocking this mode? What are its extra features? Read on as we try to answer all that! Here is how to unlock Final Fantasy 7 Remake Hard Mode and everything you need to know about it.
Unlocking Hard Mode in Final Fantasy 7 Remake
In hindsight, Final Fantasy 7 Remake’s Hard Mode is a reward for those that have completed the game in its original, or much easier setting. To unlock Final Fantasy 7 Remake Hard Mode, you must first complete the whole story campaign of the game on any other difficulty setting.
After doing so, you will now be able to select the mode when starting a new game or whenever you want to replay certain chapters. The Hard Mode setting should appear in the chapter select menu after the game’s completion.
Now that you know how to unlock Hard Mode, let us now discuss what it has in store for you. And believe us when we say this, there are a lot.
Final Fantasy 7 Remake Hard Mode Features
Here is a list of what you can expect whenever you play Final Fantasy 7 Remake Hard Mode:
- Enemies are now more aggressive and are more durable. Their attack power and overall HP will drastically improve. This forces players to utilize everything in their arsenal and come up with effective strategies to come up on top in every encounter.
- Boss battles will feature new attacks and attack patterns. Just because you have technically already finished the game once does it mean that boss fights will now be much easier. This makes boss encounters seem fresh and keeps players on their toes every time.
- You cannot use items in battle. In Final Fantasy 7 Hard Mode, items are effectively useless. There will be no potions, phoenix downs, ethers, or anything. You simply have to rely on your characters’ skill sets and strengths to survive all encounters.
- Resting spots/benches only restore your overall HP and nothing more. This means that you can no longer go ham using skills and magic in enemy encounters. You always have to manage your MP, and that is a challenge in itself.
- There are certain game features locked behind Hard Mode. Simply put, you cannot complete the game 100% without finishing it on its hardest difficulty. It is also worth noting that some of these hidden features are certainly worth the struggle.
Final Fantasy 7 Remake Hard Mode Tips and Tricks
This game’s Hard Mode is indeed “hard” in every sense of the word. Some could even say that it basically turns the whole game into a gauntlet or some sort. That being the case, you need every edge to work in your favor to beat it. Read on as we share some tips and tricks that could definitely help you in your journey through Final Fantasy 7 Remake Hard Mode.
Materia is a crucial part of the original FF7 game, but more so in the Remake. It is a powerful tool that gives you a significant edge in battle if used properly and strategically. To beat this game’s Hard Mode, you have to use every Materia in your arsenal wisely.
Make it a point to equip your characters with the Materia that can exploit the weaknesses of your enemies but also complements well with your overall playstyle. Do not be afraid mix-and-match Materias on the fly.
Other than that, here are a few more tips:
- Make sure to upgrade your weapons and armor all the time.
- Learn every enemy’s weaknesses and attack patterns. Do not get discouraged after a few failed attempts. Hard Mode is challenging, and dying a few times should be a given. Just learn from your mistakes from the previous try and keep on learning
- Use status effects to your advantage. Slow, poison, and sleep can all be very effective against certain enemies. While you’re at it, make sure to learn how to negate them as well. Certain enemies thrive on impending you with several status effects. Yes, the dreadful FF enemy Marlboro is here too!
- Master the art of summons. These mystic creatures can deal a lot of damage and can quickly turn the tides of battle in your favor. Learn when certain summons are used best and how to utilize them to their max potential.
- Use your ATB wisely. Don’t just spam your attacks. Use your ATB to cast spells, use support abilities, and block attacks. Every command selection in this mode is crucial. One wrong move can spell your doom so you best be always on the top of your game.
And there you have it! That is everything you need to know about Final Fantasy 7 Remake Hard Mode. In our honest opinion, we believe Final Fantasy 7 Remake is best played in this mode. It certainly keeps players on their toes, making everything more dynamic and truly exciting. Nevertheless, if you want to experience everything this wonderful game has to offer, then you have no choice but to play it on its hardest difficulty.