Your PC’s RAM plays a huge role in it actually accomplishing the tasks you give it. Its function in a given PC setup is comparable to even the GPU. The more RAM you have the faster your PC finishes its given processes. Inversely, when you have insufficient RAM, your PC will act terribly slow and, sometimes, even unresponsive. This is why it is crucial to always ensure that you have free usable RAM to use on your PC.
In this article, we will show you the true importance of RAM and how to free sufficient space for it in your PC.
What is RAM?
RAM stands for Random Access Memory. It is a type of computer memory that can be accessed randomly, meaning that any byte of memory can be accessed without having to read through all the preceding bytes. RAM stores the data that the computer’s processor currently uses. This includes the operating system, applications, and the currently processing data.
RAM is much faster than other types of computer memory, such as hard drives and solid-state drives. This is because RAM is volatile, meaning that it loses its contents when the power is off. This makes RAM ideal for storing data that needs to be accessed quickly, such as the operating system and applications.
The amount of RAM that a computer has can have a significant impact on its performance. Computers with more RAM can run more applications at the same time and can process data more quickly. If a computer does not have enough RAM, it may need to use the hard drive or solid-state drive to store data that is currently being used. This can slow down the computer significantly.
There are two main types of RAM: dynamic RAM (DRAM) and static RAM (SRAM). DRAM is the most common type of RAM. It is less expensive than SRAM, but it is also slower. SRAM is faster than DRAM, but it is also more expensive.
The speed of RAM is measured in MHz or GHz. The higher the MHz or GHz, the faster the RAM. Meanwhile, the capacity of RAM goes in either GB or TB. The more GB or TB of RAM, the more data the computer can store.
Benefits of having more RAM
When choosing RAM, it is important to consider the type, speed, and capacity of RAM that is compatible with the computer. It is also important to consider the price of RAM.
Here are some of the benefits of having more RAM:
- Faster performance. Computers with more RAM can run more applications at the same time and can process data more quickly.
- Improved multitasking. More RAM allows users to multitask more effectively by running multiple applications at the same time without experiencing lag or slowdown.
- Better gaming performance. More RAM can improve gaming performance by allowing games to load faster and run smoother.
- Increased productivity. More RAM can help users be more productive by allowing them to work with large files and multiple applications simultaneously.
If you are looking to improve the performance of your computer, adding more RAM is a great place to start.
What Causes RAM to Malfunction?
There are a number of factors that can cause RAM to break, including:
- Overheating. RAM modules can overheat if they are not properly cooled. This can happen if the computer is not properly ventilated or if the RAM modules are not properly seated in the motherboard.
- Electrostatic discharge (ESD). ESD can damage RAM modules if they are not properly protected. ESD can occur when a person or object with a static charge comes into contact with the RAM modules.
- Power surges. Power surges can damage RAM modules if they are not properly protected. Power surges can occur during thunderstorms or when there is a power outage.
- Manufacturing defects. RAM modules can be defective from the factory. This is a rare occurrence, but it can happen.
If you think you have a broken RAM, there are a few things that you can do to troubleshoot the problem. First, you can try reseating the RAM modules in the motherboard. If that doesn’t work, you can try cleaning the RAM modules with a dry cloth. If that still doesn’t work, you may need to replace the RAM modules.
7 ways how to free up RAM on your PC
Close unused programs
This is the most obvious way to free up RAM, and it’s also the most effective. If you’re not actively using a program, close it. This includes programs that are running in the background, such as web browsers, email clients, and chat programs.
Disable startup programs
Many programs tend to start automatically whenever you turn on your computer. These programs can use up RAM even when you’re not using them. To disable startup programs, open the Task Manager and go to the Startup tab. Disable any programs that you don’t need to start automatically.
Use a memory cleaner
Reduce the number of visual effects
Windows uses a variety of visual effects, such as smooth scrolling and transparency, to make your computer look more appealing. However, these visual effects can also use up RAM. To reduce the number of visual effects, open the Control Panel and go to the Performance Options tab. Click the Adjust for best performance radio button and click OK.
Defragment your hard drive
A fragmented hard drive can slow down your computer and make it more difficult to access data. Defragmenting your hard drive can help to improve performance and free up some RAM.
Upgrade your RAM
If you’re still having problems with low RAM, you may need to upgrade your computer’s RAM. RAM is relatively inexpensive, and it can make a big difference in the performance of your computer.
Run a virus scan
A virus infection can sometimes cause high RAM usage. If you’re still having problems with low RAM after trying the other methods, run a virus scan to make sure your computer does not have a virus or any harmful software in it.
By following these tips, you can free up RAM on your PC and improve its overall performance.