There is no doubt in our minds that Persona 5 Royal is among the best JRPGs you can ever play today. And thanks to Atlus porting the game to other systems, more and more people can now bask in its glory. Today, Persona 5 Royal is available not only on current and next-gen PlayStation and Xbox consoles and Switch, but gamers can also experience it even on their PC or Steam Deck. That said, it isn’t without its troubles. While the game offers an immersive experience for players, some users have encountered frustrating crashes on startup. These crashes can be caused by various factors, including hardware issues, software conflicts, or outdated drivers. In this in-depth guide, we will explore several troubleshooting steps to help you resolve Persona 5 Royal crashes on startup and get back to enjoying the game.
Step 1: System Requirements Check
Before diving into troubleshooting, it’s essential to ensure that your system meets the game’s minimum requirements. Make sure your computer meets or exceeds the following specifications:
- Operating System: Windows 10 or later
- Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 or AMD FX-8320
- RAM: 8 GB
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (2GB) or AMD Radeon R9 280 (3GB)
- DirectX: Version 11
- Storage: 45 GB available space
Step 2: Verify Game Files Integrity
Corrupted or missing game files can often lead to crashes on startup. To fix this, follow these steps:
- Open the Steam client (assuming you have the Steam version of the game).
- Navigate to the “Library” tab and then locate Persona 5 Royal.
- Right-click on the game and then select “Properties.”
- In the Properties window, go to the “Local Files” tab and then click on “Verify Integrity of Game Files.”
- Wait for the process to complete, and Steam will automatically fix any corrupt or missing files.
Step 3: Update Graphics Drivers
Outdated graphics drivers can cause compatibility issues as well as crashes. To update your drivers:
- Identify the manufacturer and then the model of your graphics card.
- Visit the manufacturer’s website (NVIDIA or AMD) and navigate to the drivers section.
- Download and install the latest drivers compatible with your graphics card and operating system.
- Restart your computer after the installation is complete.
Step 4: Disable Antivirus and Firewall
Sometimes, overzealous antivirus programs or firewalls can interfere with game startup, resulting in crashes. Temporarily disable your antivirus software and firewall, and then launch Persona 5 Royal to see if the crashes persist. If the crashes cease, adjust the settings of your security software to whitelist the game or create exceptions.
Step 5: Run the Game as Administrator
Running Persona 5 Royal with administrative privileges can resolve compatibility issues. To do this:
- Right-click on the game’s shortcut or executable.
- Select “Run as administrator” from the context menu.
- If prompted for permission, click “Yes” to proceed.
- Launch the game and check if the crashes still occur.
Step 6: Disable Background Applications
Both background applications and processes can consume system resources, causing conflicts with Persona 5 Royal. Follow these steps to disable unnecessary background applications:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open the Task Manager.
- After that, navigate to the “Processes” or “Details” tab.
- Identify resource-intensive applications that are not required for gaming.
- Right-click on each unnecessary process and then select “End Task” or “End Process Tree.”
- Launch the game and then observe if the crashes persist.
Step 7: Update DirectX and Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables
Updating DirectX and Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables can often resolve compatibility issues. Follow these steps:
- Visit the official Microsoft website and download the latest version of DirectX.
- Install DirectX by following the on-screen instructions.
- Additionally, download and install the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables from the Microsoft website.
- Restart your computer after installation.
Step 8: Lower Graphics Settings
High graphics settings can strain your system’s resources, leading to crashes. Lower the graphics settings within the game options to reduce the workload on your computer. Start with the lowest settings and gradually increase them until you find a balance between performance and visual quality.
Step 9: Reinstall the Game
If none of the above steps have resolved the crashes, consider reinstalling Persona 5 Royal. Uninstall the game through Steam or the appropriate platform and then reinstall it. This process can replace any corrupted or missing game files.
Persona 5 Royal crashes on startup can be a frustrating experience for players. By following the troubleshooting steps outlined in this in-depth guide, you should be able to resolve many of the common causes of crashes. If the crashes persist, consider contacting the game’s technical support for further assistance. Now you can enjoy the captivating world of Persona 5 Royal without the interruption of crashes on startup.