As it currently stands, Final Fantasy XVI (FFXVI) is exclusive to the PlayStation 5. However, Square Enix previously confirmed that FFXVI will only be a timed exclusive. After 6 months, the highly-anticipated game will become available for other systems. Now with the rising popularity of the handheld system, Steam Deck, many are beginning to ask whether the game will eventually be playable on it. Well, there are indeed a few reasons to believe that this is just the case. Curious as to what they are? Reason and find out.
Why We Believe FFXVI Will Eventually Be On Steam Deck
Here are a few reasons why we believe Final Fantasy XVI will eventually be playable on the Steam Deck:
- Square Enix is on the trend of making their games more available and accessible.
It is true that Square Enix loves making timed exclusive deals, such as is the case with Final Fantasy XVI and Sony PlayStation. However, they also love making their games highly accessible. If possible, they want to make their Final Fantasy games available to all consoles. There is little to no reason why we shouldn’t believe that this is still their goal and why they wouldn’t want to enter the Steam Deck user market.
- The Steam Deck can handle triple-A video games with no sweat.
The Steam handheld console is so powerful compared to other handheld systems that many are confident that it can compete even with next-gen consoles. Having tried the handheld myself, I do agree with them. Steam Deck is a beast of a handheld console. It is basically a shrunk-down powerful PC that you can take virtually anywhere. There is no doubt in our minds that it can run FFXVI without any trouble.
- There is strong demand from Steam Deck users for Final Fantasy XVI.
Lastly, a recent poll shows that over 70% of current Steam Deck users are interested in playing the game on their handhelds. That is quite the statistic there if I can say so myself! This clearly shows that FFXVI has a large market within the Steam handheld market. So much so that it honestly feels foolish for them not to make the game available on the particular system at this point.
Issues That May Pop Out Once It Becomes Available On The Steam Deck
There are a few potential issues that could arise if Final Fantasy XVI were to be released on the Steam Deck. Here are some of them:
- Performance. The Steam Deck is a powerful handheld device, but it is not as powerful as the PlayStation 5. This could lead to performance issues, such as lower frame rates or graphical fidelity. At the end of the day, it is still a handheld console.
- Controls. Final Fantasy XVI is designed to be played with a controller. As impressive as the Steam Deck’s controller options may be, playing FFXVI on it may not feel as good as playing on consoles. This could lead to some players having difficulty playing the game with the Steam Deck’s controls.
- Exclusive content. It is possible that Final Fantasy XVI could include exclusive content that is only available on the PlayStation 5. This could lead to some players feeling like they are missing out if they do not play the game on the PlayStation 5.
However, it is important to note that these are just potential issues. Square Enix could take steps to address these issues, such as optimizing the game for the handheld or releasing a version of the game with exclusive content for the Steam Deck.
Of course, there is no guarantee that Final Fantasy XVI will come to the Steam Deck. Square Enix has not made any announcements about a port. Judging from the developer’s past record, however, you can certainly bet that the game will become available at least for the PC. And once it eventually does, its debut on the Steam Deck may just already be inevitable.
I would personally be very excited to have the chance to play Final Fantasy XVI on the Steam Deck. I think it would be a great way to experience the game, and it would make it accessible to a wider audience.