Going into the fourth year of the life cycle of the PlayStation 5, gamers can’t help but speculate that an upgraded console is on the way. After all, the PlayStation 4 got a pro version, so why shouldn’t there be a PlayStation 5 Pro, right? That said, seeing the current economic state of the world today and its effects on the overall gaming console landscape, we are convinced that the possible PlayStation 5 Pro prices will be mind-boggling and outrageously high. Read on as we tell you why.
Save your wallets! Purchase the awesomely looking PS5 God of War Ragnarok Edition instead by following this link here.
Will There Be A PlayStation 5 Pro?
The PlayStation 5 Pro is a rumored mid-cycle upgrade to the PlayStation 5 console. It is expected to be released in late 2024 or early 2025 and will offer a significant performance boost over the original PS5.
While there are still no official announcements yet, there is no reason for Sony PlayStation to not try and repeat history by releasing a Pro version of their current console in its mid-cycle.
The PS5 Pro is rumored to be powered by an AMD RDNA 3 GPU and a Zen 4 CPU. This would make it twice as fast in rasterization and 2.5 times faster in ray tracing performance than the original PS5. The PS5 Pro is also expected to have a higher resolution display output, up to 8K.
In addition to its improved performance, the PS5 Pro is also expected to have a number of new features. These include a built-in 4K Blu-ray drive, support for haptic feedback and adaptive triggers, and a new user interface. Perhaps a smaller system overall as well. After all, several users have voiced their concerns about how the PS5 is too big.
Here is a quick rundown of the possible PS5 Pro features, if it is indeed in the works:
- It will be powered by an AMD RDNA 3 GPU and a Zen 4 CPU.
- It will have a higher resolution display output, up to 8K.
- It will have a built-in 4K Blu-ray drive.
- It will support more robust haptic feedback and adaptive triggers.
- It will have a new, customizable, and smarter user interface.
- Perhaps will feature a smaller system overall.
Why The Rumored PlayStation 5 Pro Prices Will Be Outrageously High
There are a few reasons why the PlayStation 5 Pro is expected to be expensive. Here are a few of them:
- The global chip shortage. The global chip shortage has made it difficult and expensive for manufacturers to get the components they need to build new products. Look no further than the shortage issues the PS5 itself encountered in the past few years. This could lead to higher prices for the PS5 Pro, as Sony may need to pass on the cost of these higher component prices to consumers.
- The ever-rising cost of living. The cost of living is rising in many parts of the world. This could lead to higher prices for all kinds of products, including video game consoles, such as the rumored PS5 Pro.
- The cost of new components. PS5 Pro is expected to use newer, more powerful components than the original PS5. As impressive as the PS5 already is, it could still be improved upon albeit at a higher cost. These components are more expensive to manufacture, which will drive up the cost of the console itself.
- The cost of research and development. Sony has undoubtedly spent a lot of money on research and development for the rumored PS5 Pro. Sadly, this cost will be passed on to consumers in the form of a higher price tag.
- The need to make a profit. At the end of the day, Sony is running a business here. It needs to make a profit on the PS5 Pro. In order to do this, the company will need to charge a premium price.
It is important to note that these are just some of the reasons why the PS5 Pro is expected to be expensive. The actual price of the console will not be known until Sony officially announces it. As a matter of fact, the possibility of a PS5 Pro is still just a rumor at the moment of writing. However, based on the information that is currently available, it is likely that the PS5 Pro will be a premium product with a high price tag.
With all that said, there is no doubt in our minds that the rumored system would sell like hotcakes despite how high PlayStation 5 Pro prices get. Gamers will always be drawn to more powerful stuff to satiate their drive for a more premium gaming experience. There is nothing wrong with that as long as they are prepared to pay the price.
Sad as it may be, gaming is becoming more and more expensive. It is best that we cope with that reality sooner rather than later.
For full disclosure, we want everyone to know that this article includes affiliate links. It may include items and products with promo deals and discounts. We also want to assure you that we do not use links that we would not use or follow.