A game series can survive solely through its rabid fanbase and cult following. While these games are seen as an afterthought by most people, they can also be so beloved by a certain population that it remains relevant. It just feels impossible to finally put such a game series down because of the concerning amount of people developers may alienate if they do so. And there in our opinion, there is no better example of this than the Warhammer 40K series.
In this article, we intend to take a deep dive into the polarizing video game series and answer why Warhammer 40K has a cult following.
The Warhammer 40K game series and its cult following
The Warhammer 40,000 (Warhammer 40k) video game series has a cult following for a number of reasons.
First off, the Warhammer 40k series already has already committed several years to make sure that their universe is as rich and detailed as possible. Those that got hooked on the series’ grim dark and gritty sci-fi setting that is full of conflict and violence may now feel as if it’s impossible to let go. They are now invested in a way that it now feels like their mission to see it through. All in all, this makes for a very immersive and engaging gaming experience.
Next, is the video game series’ excellent gameplay and incorporation of interesting mechanics. While universe-building does indeed play a huge role in cultivating a cult following, at the end of the day, these are still just games. No matter how rich or detailed a game series is, if it does not play well and isn’t interesting enough, players will quickly leave it off to collect dust.
Thankfully, Warhammer 40k got both aspects in check. Its games are typically fast-paced and action-packed, and they offer a wide variety of different units and weapons to choose from. This allows players to customize their experience and play in a way that suits their own playstyle.
Last but not least, the Warhammer 40k video games are very well-made. The graphics are typically top-notch, and the sound design is excellent. It is crafted in a way that makes experiencing it feels mandatory.
Those that are outside looking in will feel as if they are missing out on something. And believe us, that is a rare accomplishment. This helps to create a truly immersive experience that draws players in and keeps them coming back for more.
Warhammer 40K game series’ most appealing factors
Here is a quick rundown on the video game series’ most appealing factors:
- The series’ dark and gritty atmosphere keeps players on their toes throughout their gaming sessions. They never know what will happen next, leaving the stakes always at a high level. This risk and reward cycle makes every playthrough interesting and downright memorable.
- The Warhammer 40k series is well-known for its action-packed and fast-paced gameplay. Players are hooked by the feeling of being thrown into the middle of an intense battle. They are left with their own devices to survive against all overwhelming odds. To some people, that is just a rush they cannot get enough of.
- The attention to detail the Warhammer 40k series commits to every title release is truly commendable. The graphics, sound design, and gameplay are all top-notch, and they really help to bring the Warhammer 40k universe to life.
- Warhammer 40k has several thriving communities invested deeply into everything the game series has to offer. There’s something special about being part of a group of people who all share a love for the same thing.
- The sense of camaraderie is just way too appealing for some that they now basically dedicate a part of their lives to the game. This fully cements themselves into the game’s cult following, and to some, that is a badge of honor.
Today, where there is a constant stream of games, whether as standalone or part of an ongoing series, it has now become increasingly rare for something to successfully create a huge crowd behind it let alone a cult following.
Nevertheless, there is no doubt that the Warhammer 40k series is among such anomalies. Even without personally experiencing the game, you cannot help but be curious about what it has to offer. Finding out why so many people are willing to defend it and are so passionate about it can be reason enough for others to give it a try.
Well, they won’t be disappointed if they ultimately do. It genuinely provides an enjoyable experience that is further enhanced by the robust following behind it. This community provides a great way for fans to connect with each other. Sharing their love of the game and getting help with it is made easier and more fun. Cult following or not, the Warhammer 40k series is an experience that you necessarily shouldn’t pass up.