With everyone now almost always on the move, having an excellent portable gaming console has since become more relevant than ever before. This is arguably also the main reason why mobile gaming exploded into the scene. However, there is just no replacement for console-quality games which handheld gaming consoles can provide. With that said, which handheld console is better? Let us pit the two top handhelds in recent memory and find out who triumphs against the other. Here is Sony PlayStation Vita vs. Nintendo Switch.
PS Vita vs Switch
The PS Vita and Nintendo Switch are both great handheld gaming consoles, but they have different strengths and weaknesses.
The PS Vita is smaller and lighter than the Switch, making it more portable. It also has a higher-resolution screen and longer battery life. However, the Switch has a larger library of games, including many AAA titles from third-party publishers. It also has the ability to be docked to a TV, which gives you the best of both worlds.
We will have a more in-depth description of both handheld consoles later in this article. For now, let us take a look at their features and pros and cons side-by-side.
Sony PlayStation Vita vs Nintendo Switch Table:
|Feature||PS Vita||Nintendo Switch|
|Size||5.5 inches||6.2 inches|
|Weight||260 grams||390 grams|
|Screen resolution||960 x 544||1280 x 720|
|Battery life||5-9 hours||3-6 hours|
|Price||Starting at $199||Starting at $299|
Sony PlayStation Vita vs Nintendo Switch Pros and Cons
- Smaller and lighter than the Switch
- Higher-resolution screen
- Longer battery life
- Exclusive games such as Persona 4 Golden, Tearaway, and Gravity Rush
- Smaller library of games
- No docking capability
- Has limited support from third-party developers
- Larger library of games, including many AAA titles from third-party publishers
- Docking capability, so you can play on a TV
- Arguably more cost-efficient than the PS Vita
- Has a more affordable version that is strictly for handheld gaming
- Exclusive Nintendo games such as Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Pokemon, and many more
- Larger and heavier than the PS Vita
- Lower-resolution screen
- Shorter battery life
The PS Vita
The PS Vita was a popular handheld console for a number of reasons. It had a number of unique features that set it apart from other handheld consoles, such as its OLED screen, its dual analog sticks, and its rear touchpad. It also had a strong library of games, including both first-party and third-party titles.
Here are some of the reasons why the PS Vita was popular:
- Unique features: The PS Vita had a number of unique features that set it apart from other handheld consoles. Its OLED screen was one of the best on the market, and its dual analog sticks allowed for more precise controls. Its rear touchpad was also a unique feature that allowed for new and innovative gameplay.
- A strong library of games: The PS Vita had a strong library of games, including both first-party and third-party titles. Some of the most popular PS Vita games include Persona 4 Golden, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and Tearaway.
- Portability: The PS Vita was a very portable console. It was small and lightweight, and it had a long battery life. This made it a great option for gamers who wanted to be able to take their games with them on the go.
Despite its popularity, the PS Vita was ultimately discontinued in 2019. This was due to a number of factors, including the lack of support from third-party publishers and the high price of the console. However, the PS Vita remains a popular console among fans, and there is still a strong community of gamers who play the console. Although you cannot buy a brand new PlayStation Vita anymore, there are still several of them on sale on various marketplaces if you are interested.
The Nintendo Switch
The Nintendo Switch is a hybrid console that can be played both docked and handheld, which gives it a lot of flexibility. Moreover, the Switch also has accurate motion control features, reminiscent of the well-beloved Nintendo Wii. It also has a great library of games, including both first-party and third-party titles. Additionally, the Switch is relatively affordable, making it a great option for gamers of all budgets.
While the Nintendo Switch undoubtedly excels in offering players great Nintendo-exclusive games, it is worth noting that the handheld is also receiving excellent support from third-party game developers. This ensures that gamers won’t have to worry about not having any good games to play.
Here are some of the reasons why the Nintendo Switch is popular:
- Hybrid console: The Switch can be played both docked and handheld, which gives it a lot of flexibility. You can play it at home on your TV, or you can take it with you on the go. This makes it a great option for gamers who want to be able to play their games wherever they are.
- A great library of games: The Switch has a great library of games, including both first-party and third-party titles. Nintendo has a long history of developing great games, and the Switch is no exception. There are also a number of great third-party games available for the Switch, such as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
- Affordable: The Switch is relatively affordable, making it a great option for gamers of all budgets. The base model Switch costs $299, which is less expensive than the Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
Overall, the Nintendo Switch is a great console that offers a lot of value for the price.
PlayStation Vita vs Nintendo Switch: Conclusion
At the end of the day, the best console for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. If you’re looking for a portable console with a great selection of games, the Switch is the better option. If you’re looking for a smaller, more portable console with a longer battery life, the PS Vita is a great choice.
However, taking everything into consideration and to conclusively pick one handheld console, we have to give the nod to the Nintendo Switch. For everything great the PS Vita can offer, the Nintendo Switch just simply outclasses it. That is the precise reason why the Switch continues to dominate the handheld console market while the PS Vita had now begun to die out. It is the king of handheld consoles nowadays, and Nintendo certainly has no plans of letting it go anytime soon. Nevertheless, that is just our opinion. The rest still falls at your discretion.