Starfield is an upcoming action role-playing game developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. The game was formally announced during Bethesda’s E3 press conference in 2018. It is scheduled to be released for Xbox Series X/S and Windows on September 6, 2023. Due to the purchase of Bethesda by Microsoft back in 2021, the space-exploration epic is an Xbox exclusive.
Starfield is a highly anticipated game, and it is expected to be one of the biggest releases of 2023. The game has been on the radar of millions of gamers worldwide thanks to its ambitious scope and its potential to be a groundbreaking new entry in the action role-playing genre. So, what really is Starfield? Read on as we share with you everything we know so far about Bethesda’s newest IP ahead of the Starfield Direct showcase this June 11th.
What is Starfield?
Starfield is set in the 23rd century when humanity colonized over 100 star systems. Players will take on the role of a “Constellation” starship captain, exploring the vastness of space and uncovering the secrets of the galaxy. The game will feature a variety of gameplay features, including:
- A robust character creation system. Players will be able to create their own character, including their appearance, skills, and backstory. Although Bethesda isn’t a stranger to such systems, Starfield’s may just have the studio’s most robust character creation system yet.
- Immersive space exploration. Players will be able to explore a vast universe, visiting over 100 star systems and hundreds of planets.
- Ship customization features. Players will be able to customize their starship, including its weapons, armor, and modules. Starship enthusiasts will certainly appreciate the level of customization Starfield allows.
- Crew management. Players will be able to recruit a crew of companions, each with their own unique skills and abilities. Basically, the game allows you to make your own space team, taking inspiration from Star Trek and Mass Effect.
- Varied quests. Players will be able to embark on a variety of quests, ranging from simple fetch quests to epic adventures.
- Fun-filled combat systems. Players will be able to engage in a variety of combat encounters, including ground combat, space combat, and ship-to-ship combat. While combat isn’t the main selling point of Starfield, it is certainly one to be excited for.
Additional Confirmed Details About the Game
Here are some additional details about Starfield so far:
- The game will feature a fully-voiced protagonist. Players can choose their own voice which they can hear throughout the whole campaign.
- Players will have the chance to explore over 1000 planets, each with its own unique environment and inhabitants.
- The game will feature a variety of factions that players can join or interact with.
- It will feature a complex crafting system that will allow players to create their own weapons, armor, and other items.
- The game will feature a variety of side quests and activities that players can engage in.
Starfield is shaping up to be a massive and ambitious game, and it is sure to be a must-play for fans of action role-playing games.
Are Beta Testers Loving Starfield?
Yes, beta testers are loving Starfield. In a recent interview, Bethesda Game Studios executive Todd Howard said that the feedback from beta testers has been “overwhelmingly positive.” He claims that testers had nice things to say about the game’s scope, depth, and overall quality.
Some of the things that beta testers have praised about Starfield include:
- The game’s vastness. Starfield is a massive game, with over 1000 planets to explore. This gives players a lot of freedom to explore and discover new things.
- The game’s depth. Starfield is a deep game, with a lot of different systems and mechanics to learn. This gives players a lot of options for how they want to play the game.
- The game’s quality. Starfield is a high-quality game, with stunning visuals and a great soundtrack. This makes it a joy to play.
At first look at the claims Bethesda is saying about Starfield, we wouldn’t blame you to think that they are being overzealous and perhaps promising more than they can deliver. After all, we have all been there already. We see a game that is very promising, with its developers claiming so many great things only to be a disaster when it eventually launches.
Perhaps no better examples of this than No Man’s Sky and Cyberpunk 2077. Although both titles eventually fulfilled most of their initial promises after several updates, their disastrous launches are forever cemented in the minds of gamers.
However, there is something different about Starfield. While admittedly cautious, we have faith that Bethesda will deliver. Add to that the fact that beta testers are seemingly loving Starfield. By all accounts, Starfield is shaping up to be a truly special game.
Is It Like No Man’s Sky?
Starfield and No Man’s Sky are both open-world space exploration games, but they are very different in many ways. The former is a single-player game with a focus on story and character development, while the latter is a multiplayer game with a focus on exploration and discovery.
Starfield is also much more ambitious in scope than No Man’s Sky. Starfield will have over 1,000 planets to explore, each with its own unique environment and inhabitants. No Man’s Sky, on the other hand, has billions of planets. However, most of them are procedurally generated and very similar to each other.
In terms of graphics, Starfield is also much more impressive than No Man’s Sky. Starfield will use the latest in-game engine technology to create a stunningly realistic and immersive world. No Man’s Sky, on the other hand, has a more cartoony art style that is not as realistic.
That is everything we know so far about Bethesda’s new space epic, Starfield. Assuming that everything goes well and most of the promised features are truly found in-game, Starfield may just be 2023’s biggest hit. Even more so than Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, to be honest! That is how promising this game is. We simply cannot wait to learn more about Starfield. We will certainly keep an eye out for the upcoming Starfield Direct showcase this Sunday, June 11th.